Friday 19 April 2013

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa



Meghan Chase has a secret destiny- one she never could have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan’s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she’s known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth – that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she’ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no creature dare face… and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead then let her touch his icy heart…


The Iron King by Jule Kagawa
4 Stars

Genre: Urban fantasy/adventure
Series: The Iron Fey #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 363
Additional Notes: Look at that font! So pretty! Pity the cover is green...
                                                                                                                       
The Iron King is like a classic Disney movie – predictable and unbelievable, but enjoyable all the same.

It’s been a long time since I read a traditional adventure novel – one that features the whole Hero’s Journey structure, with the protagonist going from one place to another to reach her goal. I can’t say whether I enjoyed it or not, as I had some mixed feelings.

My main problem with the book was that Meghan’s journey seemed a little too ‘easy.’ However, I do enjoy a good old-fashioned quest, and this book definitely doesn’t fail there. Meghan and her friends have a long way to go before reaching the realm of the Iron fey, and many bargains to make. It just felt like everybody was too willing to help – I wish somebody had caused some trouble which lasted for more than a couple of sentences.

Remember how I said that this was like a Disney movie? Yeah, that’s what I meant. The little conflict is resolved quickly – I just didn’t feel like anything bad ever happened to them. All was resolved nice and easily, and that was that. The plot never really develops, and the ‘climax’ felt forced - it was always obvious that Meghan would get her brother back in the end.

That’s not to say that I didn’t like it, because I did. The winners of this book were the characters – Grimalkin and Puck. Puck. Puck is absolutely amazing, and somehow Julie managed to give him lines which were so fitting for his character. Grimalkin was obviously based off the Cheshire Cat, right down to the disappearing act, but you know what? I didn’t mind. I love the Cheshire Cat, and Grim definitely does him justice. The two are by far the best characters I’ve read in a long time.
I could find so many good quotes, but I’ve got the feeling nobody would stick around to read everything Puck said, so I’ll go with a few.

“I’ve always wanted the IQ of a rock. No wait. That would be an insult to the rock.”

 “Oh, we’re playing nice now? Should we have tea first? Brew a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?”

“Bravo. The winter prince and Oberon’s jester agreeing on something. The world must be ending.”

Again with the Disney comparison – there are so many Disney characters that make me laugh every two minutes. Yes Timon and Puba, I’m looking at you.

The only probably with having such AWESOME minor characters was that they completely eclipsed the protagonist… I would ordinarily have found Meghan flat, but next to the complete, utter awesomeness that is Puck, Meghan’s boringness is just enhanced. I’ve heard that Meghan’s characterisation picks up, so that’s something to look forward to, but in this book she has absolutely no development whatsoever.

Ash is definitely a character I want to learn more about. This book barely touches on his personality, but in this case I feel like it was done purposefully, as if Julie is deliberately keeping us out of his mind.
                                                                                                    
I do wish though that Julie Kagawa hadn’t thought it necessary to throw in semi instalove just because everyone else is doing it. I really would have preferred if she just added in the romance in a later book, once their friendship had properly developed. The story wouldn’t have suffered and the relationship would feel more organic. I didn’t mind too much though, because the attraction didn’t interfere too much and at least the two weren’t declaring their love for one another after having known each other a week ;) *cough* *cough*

I would probably say that the world was a kind of collision of every traditional (and contemporary) fairy myth and legend; Oberon, Tatiana, Winter and Summer courts, binding contracts, reaction to iron, oracles, dwarves etc. etc. I do feel however that it was handled very well, and the world was  built up excellently. Though not too imaginative, it was well thought out, well-constructed and rich with detail. The fact that Julie Kagawa ‘borrowed’ most of her mythology didn’t bother me, because at least everybody acted like they were supposed to. Julie has obviously done her research, so snaps to her for that. I was completely sucked in by the world of the fey, and I love the concept of fey immune to iron.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed this book, despite the rather flat plotline and semi instalove. A well-deserved 4 stars. This is definitely an author I’ll be looking out for in the future.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, It's so great to find another Australian Teen Blogger. I found your blog on the Teen Bloggers Group, Goodreads :) You have a lovely blog and I'm looking forward to seeing more posts. I read a sample of this and I think I will continue with it. Thanks for a awesome honest review!

    - Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

    ReplyDelete